Oh what a difference a month makes. I first made these Chica cookies in April. About a month ago, I had another request and it was a bit of a disaster. I had major problems with the icing and things went down hill fast. This set of Chicas was a success.
I don't have a Chica cookie cutter - man I wish I did! I hand-cut these cookies. I used this coloring book page as my template. I started by outlining the cookie with black icing. When the black icing had dried, I filled in the yellow face and red head feather. I allowed those two sections to dry overnight. The next day I added eyebrows and eyelashes. Then I adhered the royal icing eye I had made ahead of time. I had such trouble with putting the eyes on the wet icing last time. This time I waited and adhered them to dry icing to prevent bleeding. I piped the black outline for the beak and allowed it time to dry. I filled in the beak with a lighter yellow icing. The final touch was to add the black section of the mouth with a red tongue.
The barn cookie cutter is from here. I started off by drawing on where I wanted the roof to be with a food coloring maker (shown in photo). Then I piped and flooded the red section of the barn. I allowed that to dry for 24 hours, I did not want to take the chance of having the red bleed into the white roof. With the red fully dried, I added the white roof. I piped on the white door and added a black rectangular window. Once the window had dried, I took yellow icing and made a squiggly line for the hay. I covered the wet yellow icing with sanding sugar as the final touch.
For the number "1" cookie, I used my cutter from here. I started by piping and flooding it with yellow icing. Then I used this stencil to create the gingham plaid look. I used red Wilton's Color Mist. I used my new stencil genie from here and it works out pretty handy. I placed the stencil with the lines on a diagonal and sprayed it. Then I rotated the stencil so the lines criss-crossed and sprayed again. I piped a red board line on the cookie to finish it off.