I was asked to make cookies for a 75th birthday using Roman numerals and NO blue. Pretty simple request? Sometimes the simplest things can be the most challenging. I've struggled with Dyslexia since I was a child. I experience it most with numbers but it happens with letters too. I try very hard to check over my work because I know if I get careless, letters can get switched around. Well some how it happened. As you can see, I piped LVVX instead of LXXV. It's funny how the brains work. I piped it incorrectly numerous times and never saw it.
I felt really defeated and frustrated that I could make such a stupid mistake. I've been making cookies for a long time and have never done this. By the time I realized my mistake, I was too close to delivery day to bake new cookies. I had a Tim Gunn moment and had to "Make it work." I took a knife and scrapped off the icing of the wrong letters.
It looked like there was a party confetti in my kitchen sink. Once I had the letter scrapped off, I piped the correct letters. I used the same color as the incorrect letter. I filled in the areas not covered by the new letters with white icing. Then I added squiggles and dots to further camouflage my mistake. Those cookies are over-decorated but I fixed the mistake.
The client loved the cookies and in the end, the set turned out looking pretty good. I still have a hard time looking at these cookies because I know how much of a struggle they were for me. It's hard to face our own personal limitations. I know that I've learned a ton from this cookie set.